Friday, January 1, 2010

1.1.2010


1. The Marine 2

2. WWE: No Mercy 2007



Seemed like a wrestling theme would be a decent start for the new year. The Marine 2 is WWE Films' latest attempt to turn one of their superstars into a movie star. Initially, the film was going to star Randy Orton but when time to film came around, he was out with an injury. Rather than delay filming, they went with young Ted DiBiase. It was something of a weird choice since he's still fairly new to the company and is currently not one of the more popular grapplers on the scene. At any rate, he turned in a decent enough performance given the type of flick this was. It's definitely a throwback to the action flicks of the 80s with tons of violence, explosions and gunplay. You can turn your brain off at the door for this one as not much thought is going to be required on your part.

WWE: No Mercy 2007 was my next choice. WWE champion John Cena had just suffered a pretty serious injury and was slated to be out for 6-12 months. The title was vacated so this event was something of a reset for that particular part of the company. So, out of this, we got a title match to ultimately determine the new champion. We also had some tag team action, a women's match and the dreaded Punjabi Prison match. Ooooh,scary stuff. All in all, it wasn't a bad event nor was it anything really memorable. It's pretty standard fare for one of the non-Big 4 WWE pay-per-views.

2 comments:

EileenWanita said...

I usually love action movies, but I couldn't get into "The Marine." I want to check this one out though. I'll wait until it hits On Demand.

Ed The Ripper said...

I think part of my problem with the first flick is that I couldn't suspend my disbelief quite enough. I like Cena and actually think he'd make a decent action star when he retires from the ring. This one requires suspension of disbelief but not to that level IMO.