Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Get Him to the Greek




Get Him to the Greek is a spin-off of 2008's Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Russell Brand is Aldous Snow, troubled frontman for the band Infant Sorrow. He hasn't had a hit in quite some time and has sunk back into drug abuse following the epic failure of his last single and the crumbling of his marriage. Jonah Hill is Aaron Green, an employee at Snow's record label. He pitches the idea of a 10th anniversary concert at LA's Greek Theater to try and revive Snow's career. Since it was his idea, he's given the task of getting Snow from London to Los Angeles with a few stops in between.

I thought this movie was freaking hysterical. I genuinely don't recall laughing so hard in a movie theater in quite some time. At one point, I was laughing so hard that I became "that guy" in the theater, similar to Max Cady in Cape Fear. When the scene ended, my eyes were filled with tears and my nose was running. Quite an impact.

The story was interesting. It had the potential of being a cliche but they took just enough interesting twists and turns to keep things fresh. The cast was great with Brand and Hill leading the way. Both were solid. The highlight was Sean Combs. I'd heard good things about his performance but was a bit skeptical. He stole the show right out from under the leads. More support comes from Elisabeth Moss and Rose Byrne. There are also a ton of great celebrity cameos from the likes of Lars Ulrich, Pharrell Williams, Kurt Loder and Rick Schroeder.

Get Him to he Greek is one of those rare movies that I really can't wait to see again. I liked it that much. I highly recommend it.

No comments: