Thursday, February 25, 2010

2.24.2010




81. Edge of Darkness (2010)

Edge of Darkness is a remake of a 1985 BBC television miniseries. It's directed by Martin Campbell, director of the original series. This is Mel Gibson's first lead role since 2002's Signs. I've always been a fan of his so when I heard about this, I was pretty stoked.

Much like Legion, this movie was the victim of its trailer. It came across as a film similar to Taken. It showed Gibson's daughter getting killed and showed him running around with a gun, looking all badass. I was fully expecting vigilante Gibson to run roughshod on the criminals who took out his daughter.

Instead what I got was a fairly convoluted thriller that winds up toppling over due to its own weight. We've got massive conspiracies involving the government, radiation poisoning and terrorist threats. Just not what I was expecting at all. Had I been a bit more prepared for such a flick, I might have liked it a bit more. Chalk this one up as a disappointment.

No comments: