Sunday, February 28, 2010

2.27.2010





85. Crazy/Beautiful
86. I Love You,Man


Crazy/Beautiful tells the story of Carlos and Nicole. They're high school students from entirely different worlds. Nicole is a rich girl, the daughter of a congressman. She's also a party girl out nightly drinking and drugging. Carlos is a Mexican who takes the bus two hours each way on a daily basis to attend Pacific High School. He plans on entering the Naval Academy and learning to be a pilot. What will happen when these two worlds collide?

This was my first time seeing this movie. It's one of those movies that I kind of wanted to see but just never got around to doing so. I probably should have gotten to it earlier. It's a good movie. The story is not particularly original but the cast manages to make it work. Jay Hernandez and Kirsten Dunst are the leads. They play off of each other well, with a natural chemistry. I am in no way a Kirsten Dunst fan but she's just sexy as hell here. I fell hard for her watching this one. The supporting cast includes Taryn Manning and Bruce Davison. Davison in particular is good as Nicole's dad. Really strong performance.

Crazy/Beautiful is recommended.


I Love You,Man tells the story of Peter Klaven. He's a newly engaged realtor who becomes desperate to find some guy friends to even out his side of the wedding party.

This flick stars Paul Rudd and Jason Siegel. They have a great chemistry together and play off of each other really well. They just hit it out of the park here. The supporting cast is superb as well with Rashida Jones, Jaime Pressley, Jon Favreau, Andy Samberg, JK Simmons and even Lou Ferrigno getting lots of laughs. The story is original as there simply aren't many movies out there about man-dates. And it's true...the older you get, the tougher it is to find real guy friends. I have tons of acquaintances but very few guy friends that don't live inside my computer. Perhaps that's why this flick resonates so much with me.

I just love this movie. Since the first time I saw it, it's quickly become one of my favorites. Whenever I'm in a less than stellar mood, I can pop this dvd in and know that I'll laugh and get cheered up. It gets my highest possible recommendation.

2 comments:

EileenWanita said...

I liked "I Love You Man." I thought it was really funny (I love Jason Segel, so that helps).

Ed The Ripper said...

I fucking LOVE I Love You,Man. I've probably watched it 7 times since I bought the dvd now. This, Across the Universe, Superbad and Role Models get the most play around these parts. Needless to say, this will be a positive review.