Friday, February 5, 2010

2.3.2010 - 2.5.2010








56. Blade Runner
57. WWE Armageddon 2002
58. Minghags

I knew that once my vacation was over things would slow down some. I just didn't think they'd get quite this slow. I'm still way ahead of my one-a-day pace but slowing down like this isn't making much of a dent in my massive unwatched piles. This coming Wednesday is my next day off and for the first time in a while, there is absolutely nothing planned. It'll also be the last time for a while. So, I figure that might be a good day to just bang out some titles. Anyway, let's get on with the reviews, shall we?


Wednesday night's movie pick was Blade Runner. Originally, it was Tuesday's pick but I fell asleep. Nothing like waking up on the couch at 2am to baffle the everloving shit out of a fella.

This 1982 sci-fi/action flick stars Harrison Ford and is set in the year 2019. A company has created genetically engineered human duplicates. These duplicates are called replicants and they're pretty much undetectable from regular humans. They're primarily used as slaves and workers in colonies on other planets. After a violent uprising, they are banned from Earth. A special unit of police officers called blade runners are in charge of hunting any rogue replicants down and "retiring" them. Ford is Deckard, a retired blade runner brought back for one more go-round to retire 4 escaped replicants.

This is a great movie. So great, in fact, that I just dropped 50 bucks to purchase the ultimate "Final Cut" version of this in a limited edition 5 disc set. I knew I should have bought it when it first came out, but I digress. Ford is excellent here with strong support from Sean Young, Daryl Hannah and Edward James Olmos. The highlight has to be Rutger Hauer in one of his earliest English language films. He is just perfect here as Roy Batty, the leader of the escaped replicants. His climactic fight scene with Deckard was pretty intense.

The story is solid. I like movies that can make you think after they're done and this is one of them. It's loosely based on the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick. This is the first of many adaptations of his works brought to the big screen. Others include Minority Report, Next, Total Recall and A Scanner Darkly.

Blade Runner is highly recommended.


Thursday's pre-work pick was WWE's Armageddon 2002 pay-per-view. As with most events, there are hits and misses. Highlights here are the WWE Title match between Kurt Angle and the Big Show and the "Three Stages of Hell" match between Triple H and Shawn Michaels. Best match of the show was Chris Benoit taking on Eddie Guerrero. A solid 16 minutes of hard hitting, back and forth action.


Friday's "movie" was Minghags, directed and starring Bam Margera. It's a loose sequel to 2003's Haggard. It had been delayed and pushed back many times over the years before finally seeing a dvd release in 2009. Frankly, it should have stayed on the shelf.

I like Bam Margera. I've liked his CKY stuff, his work on Jackass and I really enjoyed Haggard. Shit, I even liked the reality show featuring his wedding. This movie was just fucking terrible though. Rather than attempting to make a decent movie, it looks like cast and crew were just too focused on having a good time and not caring about what ended up onscreen. I really don't have much else to say about this one honestly. I just finished watching it a couple of hours ago and it's already starting to fade from my memory. Probably for the best.

No comments: