Friday, July 9, 2010

Heartless




196. Heartless

In the night, I hear them talk...the coldest story ever told...oops, wrong Heartless. Sorry Kanye, I'mma let you finish but for now, this one is director Philip Ridley's first film in 15 years.

Heartless tells the story of Jamie. He's a photographer who was born with port-wine stain birthmarks on his arm and a large one in the shape of a heart over his eye. Due to that, his self esteem and confidence are terrible. Unable to meet women, he lives at home with his mom still. In his neighborhood, a gang is terrorizing everyone, committing acts of vandalism and even going so far as murder. Will their paths cross? And more importantly, what the fuck did I just watch?

This is a mind-fuck of a movie. Beyond that, I don't really want to say much more. This is one of those rare movies where I feel that I can't discuss it without traipsing into spoiler territory. I will say that this is a good movie though. The story is interesting and the lead character is engaging. The cast is solid with Jim Sturgess as Jamie. I've really liked him in everything I've seen him in. It's too bad that my opinion doesn't mean much to the rest of the American public. Support here comes from Clemence Poesy, Eddie Marsan, Joseph Mawle and Nikita Mistry.

Overall, I have to recommend that everyone check this movie out. It's not available on dvd here in the States yet, but there are ways to track it down. It's well worth the time and effort.

No comments: