Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Shutter (2008)




208. Shutter (2008)

Shutter(2008) is the Hollywood remake of the 2004 Thai film of the same name.

Newlyweds Ben and Jane move from New York City to Tokyo Japan in order to accommodate Ben's job as a photographer. While traveling from their honeymoon location to their new apartment in the city, Jane strikes and (apparently) kills a girl with their car, before running off the road and crashing. When Ben and Jane come to, there is no sign of anybody being struck. As Ben and Jane start to settle into their new lives, odd things start happening. Ben complains of pain in his neck and shoulders. His photos are being ruined by odd flashes of light. Jane begins having visions of the girl that she hit. What's causing all of these issues?

Honestly, I liked this one a lot. I've never seen the original for some reason or another. This one definitely makes me want to check it out ASAP though. The story really doesn't have much originality to it, as it seems to follow the trend of many Asian horror flicks and their remakes. I do like the cast however, with Joshua Jackson and Rachael Taylor as Ben and Jane. The rest of the cast is decent with David Denman and John Hensley in supporting roles. Also, I will say that while others may disagree with me, I find a couple of shots near the end to be very striking and powerful. Good stuff.

Overall, Shutter is a pretty good flick. I recommend it.

No comments: