Sunday, April 11, 2010

Clash of the Titans (2010)




Clash of the Titans (2010)

Clash of the Titans (2010) is the remake of 1981's movie of the same name. It's not quite 100% faithful to the original as there are quite a few differences. To me, that is a good thing. While I loved the original growing up, it just doesn't hold up all that well nearly 30 years later.

Like the original, it tells the story of Perseus. Perseus is the son of Zeus. Zeus impregnates Perseus' mother out of spite basically. Because of this, the husband of Perseus' mother traps his now-pregnant wife in a coffin and throws it into the sea. The coffin is found by a fisherman. Perseus' mother is dead so the fisherman decides to raise Perseus as his own. Some 20 years later, the humans are declaring war on the gods. Will Perseus realize his status as a demi-god and battle the humans? Or will he tempt fate and battle the gods?

Before seeing this, I'd heard a lot of really bad reviews. I was actually almost at the point where I wasn't going to bother with it. I heard from a couple of co-workers that it was good though so I figured I'd take a chance and give it a shot. I'm glad I did because it was actually a pretty solid movie.

The story was interesting, as Greek mythology is something that has always fascinated me. There was just enough action to keep the movie going along at a nice pace, making it feel shorter than its 106 minute run-time. There were a few laughs to help lighten things up on occasion. The cast was solid with Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes as the leads. All three give good performances. People seem to knock Worthington but I honestly see nothing wrong with him or his performance. Fiennes is great as Hades, god of the underworld. In supporting roles, Gemma Arterton, Alexa Davalos and Jason Flemyng are all good. Arterton and Davalos are pretty easy on the eyes as well.

Overall, this is a pretty damn good movie. I recommend it. If you do choose to see it, skip the 3-D as I hear it adds virtually nothing to the experience.

No comments: