Sunday, April 11, 2010

Paul Blart, Mall Cop




121. Paul Blart, Mall Cop

Paul Blart, Mall Cop tells the story of a security officer at a New Jersey mall. He longs to be a state trooper but hypoglycemia always manages to prevent him from living his dream. How will he fare when his mall is overtaken by a gang of criminals?

This is a total guilty pleasure movie. If it were made in the early 90s, when I still had HBO, I'd have probably already seen it 30-odd times. It's not particularly a good movie but it is entertaining as hell.

As is to be expected, the story here isn't all that great. The cast is what makes this movie more than it should be. Kevin James is perfect as Blart. He's not a handsome guy and he's overweight. He makes a believable security guard in looks and demeanor alone. His character is so sympathetic that you can't help but to root for him. Jayma Mays is the mall kiosk worker that Blart takes a liking to. She's not drop dead gorgeous but she is adorable. You can see why an everyman like Blart would like her. Good performances from both of them. The supporting cast includes Keir O'Donnell, Raini Rodriguez, Peter Gerety and Bobby Cannavale.

Overall, Paul Blart, Mall Cop is an entertaining movie with a good cast and some decent laughs. If you're looking to watch something light, this is a solid choice.

2 comments:

EileenWanita said...

I honestly think Kevin James is hilarious. I loved him in "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry," which is another movie people give me shit for liking. I think I'd like this movie even though everyone bitches that it's bad.

Ed The Ripper said...

I wasn't the biggest Chuck and Larry fan but it did have some funny moments. I do think you'd like this.