Thursday, April 15, 2010

Hexed




132. Hexed

Hexed is a 1993 comedy starring Arye Gross and Claudia Christian.

As you might be able to judge from the movie poster, it sells itself as a spoof of the sexy thrillers of the time like Basic Instinct and Fatal Attraction. It sounds good on paper. In all honesty, it's something that should work. It doesn't quite manage to do so here, however. The biggest problem is that veers between spoofing and attempting original humor.

To sum up the story, Gross' Matthew works at a semi-upscale hotel. He has a reputation for being something of a liar. When he gets word that international supermodel Hexina is coming to stay at the hotel, he's determined to go on a date with her. Primarily because he's obsessed with her and has already told everyone that he's been with her in the past. He deceitfully manages to snag a chance to go out with her but he quickly finds that sometimes it's best to be careful what you wish for.

The writer/director here is Alan Spencer, creator of television's Sledgehammer! Aside from that show and this movie, he doesn't appear to have done much else. I never really saw Sledgehammer but if it's anything like this movie, I guess I didn't miss much. The story is decent enough but could be better if it would pick one path and focus on it. The cast is good. Arye Gross has always been one of those actors that I enjoy that the average person would never be able to identify. Claudia Christian is good as Hexina. The majority of the story revolves around her so she needs to be on top of her game, and she is. Support comes from the late Adrienne Shelly, Ray Baker and R. Lee Ermey.

Nostalgia led me to purchase this on dvd not long ago. Had I remembered the actual movie, I probably would have just Netflixed it or something rather than drop $10. Overall, it's definitely safe to skip this one.

4 comments:

Spy Guy said...

You've never heard of "Sledge Hammer"? Seriously, it's one of the most critically acclaimed and influential comedies ever and Alan Spencer has done lots of stuff, including working with Mel Brooks. Have you heard of him? You're not a very good critic and unpopular, so why even write these tenth grade reading level reviews?

Ed The Ripper said...

I didn't say I'd never heard of Sledge Hammer. I said I never saw it. Perhaps you need to brush up on your 10th grade level reading comprehension.

Spy Guy said...

"I never really saw Sledgehammer but if it's anything like this movie, I guess I didn't miss much."

No, your reviews are riddled with grammatical errors and semantic blunders. If you’ve never seen a show, how can you say you “never really saw it”? Added to the fact that it’s a worldwide cult classic that’s even showing in a movie theater in LA on October 10th, and you come off as not only ill informed but obtuse. What a dolt. Why don’t you get a copy from Amazon, farm boy? Or check out the guy's IMDB page who you said hasn't done much. And check out “Get Smart” while you’re at it. I wouldn’t even trust your reviews of auto parts. Epic fail, dude.

Ed The Ripper said...

I'm not a professional critic, nor am I trying to be one. These reviews were intended solely for myself and a handful of friends who enjoyed reading them. After having some health issues recently, I've actually stopped writing them altogether.

At any rate, I'm not one for debate. I'll send you a link to my buddy's site. He loves to stage debates with people over his reviews.
http://www.cinema-crazed.com/
You two should make for good friends.