Saturday, April 10, 2010

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka




120. I'm Gonna Git You Sucka

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka is a parody of all the Blaxploitation flicks of the 70s. This is Keenan Ivory Wayans' directorial debut and is similar in tone to the later output from he and other family members. In watching this, you can tell that Wayans honestly loved the movies that he was sending up.

This tells the story of Jack Spade. His brother, Junebug, recently passed away so he returns home to comfort his mother and sister-in-law. Upon arriving home, he finds that his brother was working for notorious crime boss Mr Big. Junebug died owing Mr Big $5000 so Big's henchmen are out to get it by any means necessary. Jack decides to fight back and put a stop to Big's reign once and for all.

I watched this for the first time on VHS when I was probably 12 or so. I fell in love with it right away. Even though I'd never seen any of the movies being parodied, the humor was still apparent to me. There were scenes that I would literally rewind dozens of times before resuming playback. And back in the VHS days, that was a pain in the ass.

The cast here is just all kinds of badass. Keenan Ivory Wayans is Jack Spade. He has the right blend of action hero and goofy guy that you can't help but root for. Also in the cast are Isaac Hayes, Jim Brown, Bernie Casey, Antonio Fargas, Steve James, John Vernon, Clu Gulager, Kadeem Hardison and Damon Wayans. There are also cameos from David Allen Grier, Clarence Williams III, John Witherspoon, and a very young Chris Rock. Basically, it's an all-star cast. They bring the laughs here, big time. Even to this day, some 22 years after its release, it still holds up just incredibly well.

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka is worth a watch.

2 comments:

EileenWanita said...

You know,. it's funny,. I saw this when I was in college, and I knew next to nothing about movies back then, so it never even occurred to me that this was a parody of blaxploitation movies (I didn't even know what those were back then...I'd seen "Blacula" but that's it). I totally have to watch this again now that I actually know what I'm talking about!

Ed The Ripper said...

LOL, go for it. It's worth watching just for the goofy factor alone.