Thursday, April 15, 2010

Toy Soldiers




131. Toy Soldiers

Toy Soldiers is the 1991 action movie set at an all boys boarding school. Terrorists take over the school as revenge for the ringleader's druglord father being taken prisoner by the US government. The terrorists plan to blow up the school unless the father is released. Eventually, a small group of students decide to take a stand and try to stop them.

Basically, this is Die Hard in a school. With teenagers. This came out when I was 14 myself. As a teenager at the time, I thought this was quite possibly the coolest movie ever. Teenagers fighting terrorists was an excellent idea. Having grown up, I realize now just how far fetched it is. It still didn't stop me from enjoying it revisit.

The story isn't anything special. It's your standard Die Hard type. At this time, it was almost as if everyone was copying that particular flick. There are a couple of twists and turns here that make it sort of fresh. But not by much. The cast here is really solid. A good sampling of teenage actors of the 90s with Sean Astin, Wil Wheaton, and Keith Coogan as the leads. Andrew Divoff is menacing as the leader of the terrorists. Authority figures of the school are played by Denholm Elliott and the always great Louis Gossett Jr. The cast really helps to make this one enjoyable.

Overall, Toy Soldiers is a decent action flick. It doesn't hold up quite as well as I'd hoped it would but I still liked it. If you're a fan of Die Hard style flicks, this one's a pretty good spin on the formula.

4 comments:

EileenWanita said...

I remember this movie kicked so much ass when I was a kid. I'm kind of =afraid to see it again for fear it won't hold up as an adult.

Ed The Ripper said...

It definitely didn't hold up as well as I'd have liked it to. Nostalgia definitely helped save it for me though.

EileenWanita said...

It's cool that the evil genie from Wishmaster is the terrorist leader. Awesomesauce.

Ed The Ripper said...

Agreed...I like Divoff as a bad dude. He's just got that look.