Friday, March 26, 2010

107. The Time Traveler's Wife




107. The Time Traveler's Wife

Of all the reviews I've written so far this year, this was probably the one I was looking least forward to. When it comes to movies in general, my favorite genres are horror, action and comedy. Least favorites would be drama and romance. This one managed to hit both of my least faves in one fell swoop. That didn't really bode well for this movie's chances with me. Honestly, I really had no interest in even seeing this particular movie. The wife had recently read the book and was interested in seeing this adaptation. The other big reason I've put this review off somewhat is that while I didn't care for this movie, I didn't necessarily hate it either. It just was. I found reviews of this nature to be the toughest to write because there isn't anything there to really expound on. I'm gonna give it a shot anyway because that's what I do.

The Time Traveler's Wife is based on the novel by Audrey Niffenegger. I'm not going to lie....when I saw her name, I nearly lost my mind with laughter. That's a hell of a handle. It tells the story of a man with a genetic disorder that inexplicably makes him travel through time with no sort of warning whatsoever and the woman who loves him unconditionally.

I'm alright with suspending disbelief while watching a movie but the whole time travel thing was too much for even me to take. If there were some sort of explanation given, I might have been okay with it. Instead, it's just what he does and we have to accept that at face value. In other words, it is what it is. Don't expect anything else. It seems as if the author just wanted to go with the most far-fetched manner that a person can lose a loved one. Literally. And just keep rehashing it repeatedly, wringing emotion out of the viewer until they can't take it any more. After about an hour of watching this guy vanish into thin air, I'd had enough. From what I understand, the book was even worse. The wife seemed to like it though.
*shrugs*

Honestly, I'd say the only good parts of this movie were the leads. Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams were both good, considering what they were given to work with. I have a pretty big crush on McAdams so seeing her is always a good thing, I suppose.

Overall, The Time Traveler's Wife is a sappy, melodramatic thing. If romances and dramatic flicks are your thing, you might like it. Otherwise, it's safe to say, skip it.

1 comment:

EileenWanita said...

I go back and forth on this one. Overall I think I'd like it, but it might be too overly sappy. "Nights in Rodanthe" like sappy. Too much. I can handle crying at emotional movies (I cried through pretty much the last hour of "Marley and ME") but movies that don't HAVE to be so sappy but tug at your heartstrings on purpose get under my skin.