Friday, March 26, 2010

She's Out of My League




She's Out of My League

She's Out of My League tells the story of Kirk Kettner. Kirk works at the airport as a security checkpoint officer. One day, a beautiful girl comes through his line and manages to leave her cell phone behind in the security bin. She and her friend call the phone and are relieved to find that Kirk has it. So, she sets it up for him to meet her the next night to return it. Upon returning the phone, she invites him out to a hockey game the following night. As it turns out, to Kirk (and everyone else's) surprise, she's into him.

Honestly, this movie was a lot better than I was expecting it to be. The choices at the theater last week seemed pretty slim but I had an overwhelming urge to get the hell out of the house and not spend a ton of money doing so. I picked this one because it seemed to have the most potential. Also, I like to support R-rated movies at the theater as often as possible. The more money they make, the more R-rated flicks will hit screens. Win-win situation for me. Anywho...

This movie combined the raunchiness of American Pie with the sweetness of your typical romantic comedy. It straddled the line and crossed it from time to time but it really blended well. The story has been done to death with a beautiful woman in love with an average guy so there's nothing new to report on that front. However, the cast here really shines and makes this thing work well. Jay Baruchel and Alice Eve are the leads. They have a good chemistry together and work pretty well as a couple. Eve is just a gorgeous woman but she has some acting chops as well. The supporting cast really deserve the most credit though. T.J. Miller, Nate Torrance and Mike Vogel are just awesome as Kirk's friends. The majority of laughs come from this trio. Krysten Ritter is also solid as Eve's best friend.

Overall, She's Out of My League was a good movie. I recommend it.

No comments: