Thursday, March 4, 2010

3.1.2010




90. The Invention of Lying

The Invention of Lying takes place in a world where everyone is perfectly honest with each other. Even if you receive an answer you do not like, you are guaranteed to receive the truth. People just do not have the ability to lie. One day, Mark Bellison, a fairly unattractive and unsuccessful screenwriter manages to eke out a lie. He quickly realizes what he's done and realizes that he's the only person in the entire world with this ability. Of course, he winds up biting off a bit more than he can chew and winds up in the media spotlight.

I liked this movie quite a bit. The story is original and well done. It does get a tad bit predictable near the end but I can forgive it for that minor misstep. I was really amused by the very idea that people can't lie and the conversations that it would lead to. I spent a good part of this movie laughing at the chatting. Ricky Gervais is cast as Bellison and he's perfect for the role. He has a certain everyman look and charisma that work great here. You've got an extremely solid supporting cast as well with Jennifer Garner, Rob Lowe, Tina Fey, Jonah Hill and Louis CK. All bring good performances to the table and serve to make this movie just that much better. In the hands of a lesser cast, this one might not have been very good. Instead, this one gets recommended.

1 comment:

EileenWanita said...

I really wanted to see this when I saw the trailer. I'll have to check it out when I'm starving for entertainment after my cable gets canceled next month. :-p