Monday, March 15, 2010

REVIEW: My Bloody Valentine (2009)





97. My Bloody Valentine (2009)

My Bloody Valentine is a remake of the 1981 film of the same name.

The story starts off 11 years ago. A cave-in at the Hanniger Mine traps 6 mine workers. Some six days later, rescue workers find all but one of them dead. They weren't killed by the cave-in however. They were murdered by pickax at the hands of Harry Warden, the sole survivor. Lack of oxygen has rendered him comatose so he's unable to stand trial for his crimes. After a year in a coma, Warden comes to, killing everyone in his way before going to the old mine. Upon arriving there, he finds several teenagers having a party. He kills several before being shot by local police. Cut to the present day and see the murders start up again. Is it Harry Warden come back to finish what he started?

As I've said before, I don't have a problem with remakes. For the most part. This one, I just didn't care for all that much. It's not that I found it to be a terrible movie. It just didn't click for me. I'm all for suspending disbelief while watching movies but this flick just goes a bit overboard. Some of the huge holes in logic really took me out of the movie. About 30 minutes in, I predicted what was going to happen and started paying close attention to how it could work. At the end of the movie, I was convinced that my theory was wrong because it just couldn't happen. And of course, I was right. The things that couldn't happen, somehow did. Sorry for being so vague but I don't want to spoil anything, should you decide to watch this one. Story is typical slasher fare so if you've seen any slasher flicks, you've seen this one basically. The cast is pretty good with Jensen Ackles, Jaime King and Kerr Smith as the leads. All three turn in decent performances.

If you're a slasher fan, you might like this. Be warned though, it's really nothing special.

3 comments:

EileenWanita said...

That was my problem with this movie. It wasn't that I "didn't guess" the ending, I "guessed it" and then realized it would be IMPOSSIBLE and then it happened anyway, and that made me want to stab everyone involved with making the flick, which is sad because in a lot of ways, it was a cool movie and I liked it better than the original.

One thing I loved was the 3D. Sitting in the theater, I seriously felt like a little kid again because it was so COOL having things fly out of the screen at me. That part rocked.

Ed The Ripper said...

That's the conversation I had with Chris while watching the movie. I told her who the killer was after 15 minutes. Then, around the 70 minute mark, I told her that there was no way it was that person after all. And of course, it turned out to be that person. Ugh.

I watched the 3D version at home. Not as cool as the theatrical 3D, I'm sure,lol.

EileenWanita said...

Yeah, the 3D looked SO REAL at times. When the killer threw that pickaxe at the car, EVERYONE flinched and jumped, even the annoying jock guys in the theater with me who all did the "shifty eyes, pretend that never happened" thing afterward. :-p