Friday, January 15, 2010

1.14.2010




18. 7 Mummies
19. 100 Girls

On Thursdays, I work 12:30pm-9pm. I've pretty much worked Thursday nights for as long as I can remember. And for as long as I can remember, having to work that night has fucked up my favorite pastime. Back in the day, it interfered with Seinfeld and Friends. Now, it interferes with The Office. Since I can't watch anything in the evening since I'm completely fried after leaving work, I've been sneaking in some stuff in the a.m. hours instead. I don't sleep late so I can get started by 8am. The following are the movies I watched before work this Thursday.

I started off with 7 Mummies. I didn't remember ever getting the dvd. Not a good sign. I decided to refresh my memory and check out the IMDB page for it. Upon doing so, I discovered it had a score of 2.1 out of 10. Yikes. I read through the cast list and saw names like Billy Wirth, Billy Drago, Martin Kove, Danny Trejo, Andrew Bryniarski and Max Perlich. Hell, I even saw rapper Noreaga and modern scream queen Cerina Vincent listed. Now, to the average joe, these names really aren't a big deal. However, to a real movie fan like myself, this was practically an all-star cast. Upon actually starting the movie, I quickly started to understand the low score. First of all, it starts off in a manner similar to From Dusk Till Dawn. First 25 minutes or so are giving the viewer the impression that it's an action flick. All of a sudden, it takes a left turn into a horror flick. However, instead of being good like From Dusk Till Dawn, it's exceptionally bad. For a movie called 7 Mummies, I don't recall seeing a single one. Unless I managed to doze off. From the research I've been doing, it doesn't appear that I missed anything though. Ugh. I knew I'd pick some stinkers doing this but I didn't think my luck would run out that quickly.

For my next movie, I went with 100 Girls. I figured the numerical title would make a cute pairing with the previous shitbomb. I'd heard of this movie but didn't really know much about it. I just remember obtaining a copy in a trade with a friend. I started the movie and was pleasantly surprised to see some recognizable names. The lead was Jonathan Tucker, whom I'd seen in quite a few flicks. Some of the titular 100 Girls were played by Katherine Heigl, Jaime Pressly, Marissa Ribisi, Larisa Oleynik and Emmanuelle Chriqui. So far, so good. As the movie progressed, I found myself laughing quite a bit. I'm a big fan of teen sex comedies so this material was right up my alley. Basically, one night a guy and girl get stuck on an elevator during a blackout. One thing leads to another and they wind up having sex and passing out. Morning comes, power comes back on, guy wakes up, girl is gone. Now, he's on a quest to find her. The story is pretty solid with a lot of laughs along the way. It's also really engaging as you actually start to learn about the girls along the way and start to really like them. And the girls are beautiful. There is no shortage of eye candy here. Emmanuelle Chriqui, in particular, is a favorite of mine and she is just gorgeous here.

In closing, for a movie I'd never really given any thought to, I was very surprised. I recommend it.

2 comments:

EileenWanita said...

I love Cerina Vincent, but god she
's in a lot of horrible movies, isn't she? Especially lately. Well, "It Waits" was ok, I guess. "100 Girls" sounds like a movie I'd enjoy.

I'm sucking at this challenge. I don't have the motivation after work to watch anything so I only watch on my days off. Ugh. And watching before work would mean I'd have to get up early and I relish my time in bed before I have to get up and get ready, so that's out. Double ugh..

Ed The Ripper said...

Cerina Vincent is a babe. She's one of my favorites out there. However, she is in some terrible fucking movies. I'd say It Waits, Cabin Fever and Not Another Teen Movie are her 3 best. I think you'd enjoy 100 Girls. It's a sex comedy but it's got a little bit of heart.

I'm doing alright mainly because I typically watch a lot of movies anyway. I'll most likely get way ahead of the pace during the colder months and then slow down some during the spring/summer.