Friday, January 29, 2010

1.29.2010





52. Whip It

Movie #52 of the young year was 2009's Whip It. This is actress/producer Drew Barrymore's directorial debut. It stars Ellen Page as a high school student who falls in with a women's roller derby team.

Whip It is your typical sports movie about a fairly atypical sport. You've got your standard rivalries, David vs Goliath battle at the end, etc. Women's roller derby is not exactly your run of the mill, mainstream product. I remember seeing it on tv when I was a kid and being fascinated by it. This isn't a bad movie but ultimately, it's not one that's really going to stick with you for any time to come. It's good for a viewing and then you're more or less done with it.

Ellen Page leads the way here and is decent as Bliss. It's almost as if she's playing a slightly toned down version of Juno. Support comes from Marcia Gay Harden, Drew Barrymore, Eve, Daniel Stern, Alia Shawkat, Juliette Lewis and Kristen Wiig. Barrymore is good in a pretty comedic role. Her character is likable and has some pretty funny lines. Wiig is the standout though. She really shines as Maggie Mayhem, a badass roller girl by night and devoted mother by day.

Overall, Whip It is a fairly enjoyable movie but it's not going to be a movie you re-watch dozens of times. Give it a rent.

4 comments:

EileenWanita said...

This is another movie I want to watch for the deep, meaningful reason that it has a lot of hot women in it.

EileenWanita said...

The captcha I had to type in to post that last comment was the word "slutcick." I think the computer is calling me a slut for wanting to see this movie solely because of the hot women in it. :-p

Ed The Ripper said...

I loved the women in this. Juliette Lewis even looked good. I'm a big fan of the big hair, tattoos and crazy makeup. ;)

Ed The Ripper said...

Also, it would be great if the captchas were actual words on occasion. I mistype them so many times because they make no sense to me.