Friday, January 22, 2010

1.22.2010







33. Money Talks
34. WWE: Backlash 2004
35. Sherlock Holmes (2009)


Today started with Money Talks starring Charlie Sheen and the elusive Chris Tucker. It's a "buddy" movie in the vein of 48 Hours. Sheen and Tucker are both solid here. Seeing them together reminded me that we don't see very much of them in movies these days. It's too bad because they've both done a lot of things I enjoy. Good supporting cast here with Heather Locklear, Paul Sorvino, Elise Neal and the late Paul Gleason. A word of caution about this one...if you don't care for director Brett Ratner's other stuff, you won't care for this one. Personally, I like the action/comedy stuff quite a bit.

From there, I moved onto WWE: Backlash 2004. This event happened during the brief time where they were spotlighting the eventual madman, Chris Benoit. Throughout the course of the event, they showed highlights of his winning the championship and celebrating with his family. Chilling stuff, given what happened a few years later. Regardless of what he did outside the ring, he was still great in it. His match here versus Triple H and Shawn Michaels was a great one. I knew the eventual outcome and still found myself holding my breath during a near fall. That's some solid storytelling right there. Other big highlight here was Randy Orton taking on Mick Foley in a no disqualification, falls count anywhere match. Seeing a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire always brings a smile to my face.

Wrapped up the night with 2009's Sherlock Holmes. Yet another screener title that I've acquired. I came across this one a few days ago and had been chomping at the bit to finally sit and watch it.

I liked it quite a bit. In fact, I can see myself watching it again in the near future. The story was good, combining action, mystery, some laughs and elements of the occult. The cast was great. Robert Downey Jr, Jude Law, Rachel McAdams and Mark Strong were all highlights. The chemistry between Downey and Law was spectacular. I'm genuinely hoping they do wind up making a sequel, as there has been a bit of talk about it. I loved the ending...damn good stuff. I highly recommend this one.

No comments: