Thursday, January 21, 2010

1.20.2010






28. WWE: Armageddon 2007
29. Triangle
30. Stay Tuned

WWE: Armageddon 2007 was your standard non Big 4 WWE pay-per-view. Some title matches but nothing really exciting or spectacular happening. Highlights included Mr. Kennedy taking on Shawn Michaels and HHH taking on Jeff Hardy in a #1 Contender's Match. The main event was a triple threat match with Batista defending the title versus The Undertaker and Edge. This was notable for the debut of the "Edge-Heads", a fairly short lived team associated with Edge.


Triangle is a 2009 British horror flick directed by Christopher Smith. This was his third full-length flick following 2004's Creep and 2006's Severance. Had I realized that going in, I'd have been a bit more excited about this one since those were both pretty solid movies. This one tells the story of 6 people going out for a sail on the Triangle. They encounter a freak storm and wind up capsizing. They end up being rescued by a passing ocean liner, the Aeolus. Once on board, things take a turn for the worst.

This is a solid movie. To me, it played out like a cross between The Shining, Groundhog Day and an episode of The Twilight Zone. Melissa George, of the Amityville Horror remake, is good here as the lead. The rest of the cast, while fairly unknown, are also pretty good. The story here can get a bit tricky to follow at times but paying attention is well worth it. Like Home Movie the other day, there are some callbacks to earlier in the flick. I love stuff like that. This one makes you think about it after the fact. I recommend checking this one out. It hits dvd and Blu-ray on February 2nd.


Stay Tuned is a 1992 comedy starring John Ritter and Pam Dawber as the Knables. Ritter is obsessed with television, paying no attention to his wife or two kids. He winds up getting more than he bargained for when he gets a killer new satellite system from the mysterious Spike.

Surprisingly enough, this one held up really well with me. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it after so many years but it's still pretty funny. Ritter is really good. The highlight for me were the parodies of television shows of the time. Titles like Golden Ghouls and Fresh Prince of Darkness had me laughing like a little kid.

2 comments:

EileenWanita said...

I forgot about Triangle. I heard about it a million years ago and really wanted to see it. I liked Severance as well.

I've never heard of "Stay Tuned" which surprises me because I like John Ritter a lot and now it sounds like a movie I'd have fun checking out. I have a tendency to like family comedies that no one else likes (such as the "Look Who's Talking" movies).

Ed The Ripper said...

Yeah, I think Triangle has been pushed back more than a couple of times. The director has done some good stuff. Severance was really solid.

Stay Tuned is definitely a family comedy. I actually let Aidan watch it since he's such a tv geek and he liked it too.