Sunday, January 17, 2010

1.17.2010






22. The Money Pit
23. Speed 2
24. The Object of My Affection

Today was a shitty day. First off, I found out that my mother is spending some time in the hospital with a buildup of fluid around her heart. Secondly, the weather has turned to shit yet again with a wintry mix forecasted for tonight and tomorrow with lingering snow showers through the week. Thirdly, the wife is going in for her surgery in just a couple of days. The stress is hitting me and it's hitting me fucking hard. So, in order to try and relax some today, I watched some movies. Wrote a blog about it. Like to read it? Here it go...

Started off with 1986's The Money Pit. I'd tried watching this on Saturday but kept getting sidetracked and wound up just giving up. This is one of those movies that I saw dozens of times as a kid thanks to the powers of HBO. I've never been a huge fan of it. Certainly not to justify all the viewings anyway. However, it's a fairly amusing way to spend 90 minutes. During the mid to late 80s, Tom Hanks had a stretch of comedies that I just can't tire of. Ever. Bachelor Party, Dragnet, Big and Turner & Hooch are all movies that are just great. This one doesn't quite fall into that category but it's still not bad. He sure as hell takes a beating in this one, proving himself to be pretty adept at physical comedy.

After that one, I jumped onto Speed 2. This is the much less successful follow-up to 1994's Speed. This flick gets a really bad rap but I don't think it's worthy of all the venom. Essentially, it's Die Hard on a cruise liner. Which makes sense since the original was Die Hard on a bus. The script for this was originally intended for use in the Die Hard series. If it wasn't called Speed 2, I think it would be a bit more respected. All in all, it's really not that bad of an action flick. It allows you to sit there and turn your brain off for a couple of hours. Sometimes, that's all you really need.

Final movie of the night was The Object of My Affection starring Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd. Rudd and Aniston meet at a party. Through some unfortunate circumstances, Rudd comes to live in Aniston's apartment. Eventually, they become best friends but Aniston wants more. However, it might not go the way she wants since Rudd is gay. This is a decent movie. It works because Rudd and Aniston make it work. They have a very natural chemistry and play off each other really well. Supporting cast is solid with turns from Steve Zahn, Alan Alda, Allison Janney and Tim Daly.

2 comments:

EileenWanita said...

I always wanted to see "Speed 2." Never got around to it. It's funny, because people bash "Speed 2" but they talk about "Speed" like it was a flawless masterpiece. Don't get me wrong, I like "Speed,"but it was a silly little action flick and this was a followup, it's not like this is "Schindler's List 2: Jews Control" or anything to justify all the bitching about this sequel.

Ed The Ripper said...

I love Speed but it was definitely not flawless. It was actually a pretty terrible movie that just happened to strike the right chord with me.